Tuesday, July 29, 2008

94th year



It's hard for me to believe that my grandmother just celebrated her 94th birthday! In thinking about this, I find myself thankful for being able to celebrate such an occasion with her, let alone MY children celebrating the same!
In reflecting on the 43 years of her 94 that I have shared with her, I often find myself remembering the times I spent with her at her apartment when I was a child. There were my mother's dolls that I played with - what a treat to have something other than my Barbies! They "lived" in a suitcase-like doll case, and their clothes were so "old fashioned." There was the Yardley lavender soap, lotions and powders. There was the very "old fashioned" dial radio that set beside her bed along with the ticking wind-up clock. And she would not like me mentioning the 3rd bedroom/storage facility that contained papers, magazines, randomly-purchased items from the dime or department store; you know, those items that you think you may use or give as some type of gift. (I think we donated them or threw them out when we moved her in the late 80's.) And I also fondly remember dressing up in her wedding dress along with the veil for a special play time. (Where are those photos?)

There are so many memories, and I think it's those older ones I most fondly remember because they are the ones where it was just the two of us. However, there are some equally more recent and treasured memories of just the two of us. She treated me to an Eastern European vacation in 1996. She knew this would be the last of her travels, and I was honored to be able to share it with her. And she has stayed with us for a few weeks twice in the last year and a half.

Things have changed though. She is no longer able to walk or be the independent soul God created her to be. It's sad for me to know she must mentally struggle with this obstacle, for I will mostly remember her fiery wit and independence and for the continual words she still utters, "I can do it." That's not often the truth she speaks, but the desire to be able to do it, so I just smile and say, "Okay; go do it." I believe it's the hope and the dream that can keep us alive!

So, again, I wish my grandmother, Granny or Gigi as she is known, a very happy year ahead with the knowledge that I love her very much and with much thankfulness for the memories. And I am thankful to God for allowing them to me and to my children as well.

1 comment:

Bamawhitney said...

beautifully written. love you guys!

blog counter